Monday, January 21, 2013

DIY Harry Potter Canvas Shoes

Today I am posting my tutorial on HP Shoes. My inspiration where there AMAZING heels! I will work on those for my next project!

Told you they were amazing!
So, I wanted to make these heels, but I didn't want to mess them up. So what I did, was try them on a pair of canvas flats I had that I never wear. I don't have anything that will match them anyways. 

See, they are pink. I don't own pink clothing!  

Then I got my HP books. Now, before someone shanks me for cutting up these books, lemme explain!! These are old copies, I know, even more of a reason to shank me. However, they fell apart. I didn't want to just throw them away, so I am upcycling them to projects like this!


My first mistake. I cut up just enough strips to cover the shoes. I didn't even think about the pink background bleeding through the papers coloring. Such a dork. However, I had the spare pages beside me, so I could rip and add at a moments notice.



Now, most people would us Mod Podge. I hear it's expensive, I dunno. Never bought it. I use Elmer's Glue (or cheap brand Elmer's glue) mixed with water. I've always used this and it's never failed me yet.


Make it look milky. That is when it is perfect.

Now, you might not be able to tell, but I added the glue mix to the canvas first, then you apply strips of paper and more glue mixture. 

Like so. I would have taken a picture of me putting the mixture on, but I only have 2 hands and one camera. Don't want to break that. It was my birthday present!

About an hour and a half later, tada!! The only thing I haven't done yet is add some sort of extra sealant to the shoes. I will wait until they are dry from this, then maybe add one more coat of the mixture, then seal them off with clear enamel paint, or resin. 



Luna Lovegood! Ravenclaw house, though I am a Slyther-Claw. 






Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy these!
xoxo, Aimee

2 comments:

  1. Very cute shoes and ingenious idea of upcycling with all the materials. I'm sure once the resin goes on they will be super fabulous! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so :) I will post the results when I get that far :)

      Delete